English Paper Piecing table runner designed by Nancy Adamek using the lovely new jewel shape to create a lovely eight pointed star.
Nancy has designed this lovely table runner to be created with four blocks. The blocks contain some lovely new English paper piecing shapes. In this part of her workshop she takes the 45 degree jewel and sews it around an octagon to create the star.
Nancy takes you through the type of fabric she has chosen – why it’s a long 1/8th rather than a square. She talks about fussy cutting centres and jewel shapes. Again, she shows you how and reminds you that although fussy cutting does seem extravagant on fabric. There is no reason why you can’t use up the rest! – and also how to keep yourself safe when using the rotary cutter.
Nancy guides you through:
- the paper piecing process,
- discusses the seam allowance
- how to thread your needle (and get it right first time),
- the length of thread to use to avoid repetitive strain,
- covering the paper shapes,
- making sure that the pleats always go in the same direction;
- what to do with the tip of the jewel shape and finally
- how to be work the pieces together in the right sequence.
A very comprehensive workshop – and this is only part 1!
Click here for Part 2. Next Nancy will be talking about the drunkards path section.